Colonel Jerry Narum is the Director of Communications and Chief Information Officer, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He is responsible for the command’s operational policy, strategic guidance, planning and programming, configuration management, and resource policy for communications, computer, and information management systems. Col Narum directly supports the command headquarters, Air Reserve Personnel Center, and more than 684 Reserve units consisting of approximately 70,000 personnel.
Colonel Narum was commissioned into the Air Force as a distinguished graduate of the North Dakota State University Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps after earning a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering. He is also a graduate of Squadron Officers School, Marine Corp Command and Control Systems School, Air Force Institute of Technology, and Industrial College of the Armed Forces.
Colonel Narum has extensive joint, staff, and tactical experience. He has been assigned to key staff positions at the Space Warfare Center, Air Mobility Command, Air Staff, Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, and the Joint Staff. Highlights of his career include providing tactical engineering support for more than 45 real-world contingencies and exercises, administering the Chief Information Officer responsibilities in resource programming and analysis, and leading the communications support for a joint task force. Additionally, Colonel Narum commanded the Joint Communications Support Element’s Support Squadron and the 45th Space Communications Squadron in operating and maintaining communications systems supporting Eastern Range space launch operations.
1990 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University N.D.
1992 Basic Communication-Computer Systems Engineering Officer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Marine Corps Command and Control Systems Course, Quantico, Va.
1999 Advanced Communications-Computer Officer Training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2000 Master of Science in Management, Troy University, Ala.
2005 Master of C4I Systems, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2010 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. Sept 1991 – Sept 1994, Radar Evaluation Engineer, 84th Radar Evaluation Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
2. Sept 1994 – June 1997, Chief, Plans Support Element, 1st Combat Communications Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
3. June 1997 – June 1998, Student, Marine Corp C2 Systems School, Quantico, Va.
4. June 1998 – May 2000, Communications Systems Engineer, Joint Communications Support Element, MacDill AFB, Fla.
5. May 2000 – June 2001, Commander, Support Squadron, Joint Communications Support Element, MacDill AFB, Fla.
6. June 2001 – May 2003, Chief, Systems Integration Section, Space Warfare Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
7. May 2003 – May 2004, Chief, Operations Integration Branch, Space Warfare Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
8. May 2004 – June 2005, Student, IDE/Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. June 2005 – July 2006, Chief, Capabilities/Requirements/Analysis Branch, Office of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, HQ USAF, Washington D.C.
10. July 2006 – July 2007, Executive Officer, Directorate of Policy and Resources, Office of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, HQ USAF, Washington D.C.
11. July 2007 – July 2009, Commander, 45th Space Communications Squadron, Patrick AFB, Fla.
12. July 2009 – June 2010, Student, Industrial College of Armed Forced, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
13. June 2010 – September 2011, Deputy Chief, Actions Division, Joint Staff, Washington D.C.
14. September 2011 – June 2013, Secretary of Joint Staff, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington D.C.
15. June 2013 – August 2014, Chief, Technology Integration Division, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
16. August 2014 – March 2015, Chief, Mobility Air Forces Information Technology Portfolio Management Division, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. March 2015 – April 2016, Director, C4 Systems, Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, Djibouti
18. June 2016 – Current, Director of Communications and Chief Information Officer, HQ Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Distinguished Graduate Advanced Communications Officer Training
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 23 April 1991
First Lieutenant 23 April 1993
Captain 23 April 1995
Major 1 March 2002
Lieutenant Colonel 1 February 2007
Colonel 1 September 2012
(Current as of July 2016)