Colonel James R. Byrne is the Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Georgia.
Colonel Byrne earned his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey in 1988. He then attended the Duke University School of Law under the Educational Delay program. Colonel Byrne was admitted to practice law in Hawaii and entered active duty as a judge advocate in February 1992.
Colonel Byrne has served as a judge advocate at all levels of command, including serving as a Staff Judge Advocate at the wing, center and NAF level. He has also served as an Area Defense Counsel, and as an Air Staff Counsel in the Administrative Law Directorate.
1988 Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Systems Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
1991 Juris Doctor, High Honors, Duke University School of Law, Durham, NC
1995 Squadron Officers School (by correspondence and in residence)
2000 Air Command and Staff College (by seminar)
2001 Air Force Legislative Fellowship Program (IDE), Washington, DC
2006 Air War College (by correspondence)
1. April 1992 – October 1993, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Chief of Claims and Military Justice), 4th Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
2. November 1993 – July 1995, Area Defense Counsel, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
3. July 1995 – October 1996, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Chief of Nonjudicial Punishment and Deputy Chief of Military Justice), 37th Training Wing, Lackland AFB, Texas
4. November 1996 – July 1997, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Chief of Military Justice), San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
5. July 1997 – September 2000, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Civil Law and Adverse Actions), 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, NE (September 1998 – February 1999, Deployed Staff Judge Advocate, 320th Air Expeditionary Group, Eskan Village, Saudi Arabia)
6. September 2000 – December 2001, Student, Air Force Legislative Fellowship Program, Washington, D.C.
7. December 2001 – August 2003, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate (Operations Law), United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
8. August 2003 – July 2005, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Air Forces Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany (June 2004 – September 2004, Deployed Legal Advisor, Combat Operations Division, Combined Air Operations Center, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
9. July 2005 – July 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
10. July 2008 – May 2009, Air Staff Counsel, Administrative Law Directorate, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2009 – June 2010, Senior Air Staff Counsel, Administrative Law Directorate, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
12. July 2010 – July 2013, Staff Judge Advocate, US Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
13.July 2013 – August 2015, Staff Judge Advocate, Eleventh Air Force, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
14. August 2015 – Present, Staff Judge Advocate, HQ Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 5 June 1988
First Lieutenant 6 August 1990
Captain 6 August 1992
Major 1 July 1999
Lieutenant Colonel 1 June 2005
Colonel 1 March 2010
(Current as of Aug 2015)