JOINT-BASE SAN ANTONIO-Randolph, Texas --
Headquarters, 340th Flying Training Group Airmen gathered here the first week of December for the semi-annual mandatory unit training assembly, which included ancillary training, member recognition, a variety of awareness briefings, and a unit holiday dinner.
Leader emphasis throughout the MUTA focused on professionalism, integrity, team development and building trust. Command staff members also briefed teammates on family care planning, medical and safety requirements, operation security, professional relationships, inspector general services/support and public affairs.
Commander Col. Janette Thode presented medals and acknowledged several Airmen for exceptional performance and service.
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal recipients included Lt. Col. Mark Hiatt, manpower and personnel director; Lt. Col. Sara Linck, unit improvement process manager; Maj. Thallas Lumpkin, comptroller; Senior Master Sgt. Samuel Caballero, group first sergeant; and Master Sgt. Edwardo Morales, assistant force development NCOIC.
The Air Force Reserve Command Gen. Mark Welsh One Air Force and Chief of Staff Team Excellence awards went to the Undergraduate Flying Training team, led by Lt. Col. Timothy Chapman. Significant contributions included Lt. Col. Lee Glenn, Lt. Col. Jason Cashman, Lt. Col. Brian Frisbey, Lt. Col. Nelson Reynolds, Maj Hunter Letchman, Maj. Laura Zeppos, Maj. Andrew Grieb, Master Sgt. Vianca Contreras, Master Sgt. Tainell Pettengill, Master Sgt. Randy Alvis, Master Sgt. Nicholas Davis (retired), Tech. Sgt. Natasha Todd, Tech. Sgt. Brett Daniel, Staff Sgt. Karif Cortiella and Staff Sgt. Marisela Martinez.
Group second and third quarter award winners were also lauded.
- CGO: Capt. Angela Martin, 96th Flying Training Squadron
- FGO: Maj. Jill Rogers, 39th FTS
- Instructor Pilot: Maj. Erik Brown, 97th FTS
- Support Officer: Capt. Heather Fletcher, 96th FTS
- Citizen Airman: Maj. Christina Hopper, 5th FTS
- Senior NCO: Master Sgt. Sarah Cornelius, Headquarters, 340th FTG
- NCO: Tech. Sgt. Sharon Collado, 70th FTS
- CGO: Capt. Jason Israel, 96th FTS
- FGO: Maj. Ryan Souers, 96th FTS
- Instructor Pilot: Maj. Paul Farlow, 43rd FTS
- Support Officer: Capt. Angela Martin, 96th FTS
- Citizen Airman: Maj. Mitchell Randolph, 96th FTS
- Senior NCO: Master Sgt. Jennifer Robles, HQ 340th FTG
- NCO: Tech. Sgt. Crystal Charriere, 433rd Training Squadron
Certificates of Service were presented to civilian employees with 10 years of creditable service. Recipients included Bernardo Aleman, budget analyst; Edwardo Morales, undergraduate flying training specialist; Robert Sanchez, force development NCOIC, and Anthoney Smith, finance travel lead.
Recently promoted members include the following:
- Col. Janette Thode, deputy commander/acting commander, HQ 340th FTG
- Lt. Col. Myla Abejuela, inspector general, HQ 340th FTG
- Lt. Col. Stacie Pratt, operations training chief, HQ 340th FTG
- Master Sgt. Keith Armour, 433rd TRS (through the Stripes for Exceptional Performers II program - first 340th FTG STEP II selectee in more than a decade)
- Staff Sgt. Elaine Thompson, force management assistant NCOIC, HQ 340th FTG
Several members were also recognized for outstanding educational achievement.
- Maj. Joya Gamara – Air Command and Staff College
- Master Sgt. Gavin Jordan – Community College of the Air Force Associate Degree (CCAF) and Senior NCO Leadership Course (SNCOLC)
- Master Sgt. Denise Salazar – 5 Skill Level Upgrade
- Master Sgt. Nimsi Martinez-Flores – 7 Skill Level Upgrade
- Master Sgt. Kourtney Willich – SNCOLC
- Master Sgt. Tainell Pettengill – Senior NCO Academy (SNCOA)
- Master Sgt. Jennifer Robles – Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II
- Tech. Sgt. Elaine Thompson – CCAF
- Tech. Sgt. Natasha Todd – SNCOA
Group superintendent Chief Master Sgt. Jimmie Morris announced that the Enlisted Developmental Education Board selected two group members for elite education programs.
- Senior Master Sgt. Ricardo Chavez, 433rd TRS, is the primary select for the Reserve Component National Security Course.
- Master Sgt. Jason Wagner, 433rd TRS, is an alternate select to attend the Marine Corps Staff NCO Academy Advanced Course.
Significant events slated ahead include the Air Force Reserve Orientation Course (slated for March, May and August), and the July 23-26 340th FTG Enlisted Summit, which will be held at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
The next group MUTA will be in June.